Friday, 1 March 2013

Come Fly With Me!

Dress from BooHoo, Cardigan from Primark, Boots from ASOS


This is my travelling outfit, it doesn't need to be that comfortable as the flight is only an hour long! But I still like to be comfortable and fairly relaxed when travelling anywhere (No Victoria Beckham style travelling outfits for me!), especially when flying as my feet always swell up (so glamorous) and those airplane seats are anything but comfortable even for just a one hour trip!

I have spent the whole day sorting out the house doing my cleaning and washing that usually gets done over the weekend but obviously wont get done as we are away.  I have been running around like a headless chicken and have struggled to get everything done.  Every time we go away I promise myself I will be more organised but it never happens. How can I be so organised in my work life (and I mean super organised, I used to be a PA doing high level diary management and arranging travel arrangements etc and now my job involves a need for super organisation as we are so deadline focused and the workload is excessive) and so not organised in my home life? Maybe it is a rebellion against what I have to be like at work? Perhaps if someone paid me to be organised at home, like they do at work, I would be better at it?

I also promised myself I would be minimal in my packing (as I always do) but I failed (as I always do).  I am only there for 2 nights and 2 days but so far in my suitcase I have 6 dresses, a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of heeled dressy shoes, a pair of boots, a pair of slippers (wtf?!), 2 pairs of pyjamas, 2 jumpers, a spare coat, a blazer, loads of pairs of tights, more underwear than I could possible wear in a weekend, 2 sets of curling tongs (what?!?!), a massive bag of ALL my makeup, enough toiletries for a small family, the iPad (and I may pack the laptop too lol), magazines, sweets, spare handbag and various other odd bits and bobs. This is ridiculous clearly, but as I was packing I swear I had a valid reason for packing each thing;

"Oh but what if I decide I want smaller curls and have only brought my big barrel tongs, better pack both just in case"

"What if the hotel is cold and they don't have slippers in the rooms, I need to pack these I CAN'T have cold feet"

"I am not sure how dressy Edinburgh is for a night out so I will just pack a selection of dresses and then when we go out for a meal tonight I will look around and see which one to pick for our big night out on Saturday, genius"

"Well I can't just pack one pair of evening shoes as I don't know what dress I will be wearing Saturday night! Better take two then..."

Mr Bertie despairs at me. His packing list includes 3 tshirts, a spare pair of jeans (that I forced him to take as he usually spills curry or something on the pair he is wearing) the right amount of socks and pants for the number of days we are staying, a warm top for under his jacket, some pyjamas (which I also made him pack as he would just sleep in his pants) his toothbrush, aftershave and a small pot of hair product.  Now that is a man who can do minimalism.

Anyway, I am not sure why I am bothered, we have a 20kg luggage allowance and to me a luggage allowance is a challenge - how much can I fit in and still just be under the allowance? A very fun game, until you get to the airport and realise you have not weighed it properly and you find yourself opening your suitcase and exposing your underwear to a queue of annoyed holidaymakers behind you whilst you stuff your clothes into nasty plastic airline bags!

Well, I better be off, still got lots to do.  Have a great weekend everyone, I will try do mini updates whilst we are there, but if not I will be back with a mega update on Monday with lots of pictures.

Au Revoir!

20 comments:

  1. Haha, I am the same way, girlie. I take everything but the kitchen sink when I go on a trip, despite best efforts to minimize. Have fun, and post pictures of your final dress choice. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you sound very like me, it's a woman's prerogative though right?

      Janine xx

      Delete
  2. Have a fun and safe trip!

    xoxo
    Mags
    http://magsmind22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mags, it was a fabulous mini break, going to share some photos today or tomorrow on the blog :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  3. This is the cutest look for traveling! I'm glad its comfy too. Victoria Beckham is the epitome of glam, but unfortunately her style is not always practical for flying...LOL! You look fabulous!

    xo Azu

    www.raven-locks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think she must sneakily get changed in the first class toilets after they have set off and then puts her glam clothes back on before they land. Nobody can be comfortable flying dressed like that.

      Janine xx

      Delete
  4. Love your outfit. The dress is gorgeous and your hair looks great. Hope you have a great trip! I'm the same with packing - I always go overboard (4 shoes for 1 night away!) My favourite packing moment was when I was 0.4 kg below my allowance. I was so proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherin. That is an achievement being so close to your allowance but still staying under it, well done :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  5. Such a cute dress! I love the pattern.

    Have a great weekend!
    Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it was a fabulous weekend :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  6. I can totally relate to you when it comes to packing. :) I am actually traveling to a wedding right now and I packed 2 outfits for the wedding because i couldn't make up my mind. Silly me. :)

    This is a fantastic blog. I just discovered it and I really enjoy your writing style.

    If you're interested, please stop by and say hello at www.projectpaperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Gabrielle that sounds like a good idea, always best to have a choice of outfits and see which one you feel comfiest in on the day! I hope you had fun at the wedding and thanks for the compliment on my writing style, glad you enjoy it :) Also thanks for the link to your blog I will check it out now.

      Janine xx

      Delete
  7. I always pack WAY too much! hahaha! It's a bad habit! You never know what you'll be in the mood to wear. :) Have so much fun! Take lots of pictures!

    ClassyInAClassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy we had a great time, I have plenty of pictures to share :) Sounds like a lot of us enjoy overpacking haha :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  8. Another fabulous dress but i have to say the winner in this outfit is the cardigan, i love it.

    Have a wonderful time.

    Txx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, it was so cheap (the cardigan) only £6 from Primark. But sadly it is now ruined after this weekend due to my bright red coat from Dorothy Perkins rubbing colour off all over it and it is now a tie dyed pink colour, booo hooo. I just hope they still have them in stock, I will pop in tomorrow to see. Just glad it wasn't an expensive one that got ruined, I am really cross at that coat right now (lol)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  9. you look so cute! this is a lot more chic than my typical traveling outfit - i usually wear leggings or jeans, a tank top and some sort of big cozy cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitney, I am actually comfier in a dress and tights than I am in any kind of pants (even leggings, yes I am weird haha) but I suppose thick tights are just like leggings just with a dress over for more layers. I really need to get some stylish slouchy casual clothes. I have been looking for an affordable cashmere hooded jumper/cardigan for ages and also have a pair of really comfortable jeans. That would make a lovely chic and comfortable travelling outfit worn with flats or converse. More stuff to put on the wishlist there then... hehe.

      Janine xx

      Delete
  10. Such a cute blog! Have a nice day!
    AIMEROSE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you have a good day too :)

      Janine xx

      Delete

Thanks for your comment :)

If you have any questions or want a specific reply please email me at bakeglueandtrend@gmail.com