Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Our Trip To Edinburgh - Part Two

Following on from the first part of our Edinburgh trip story yesterday, this is about the second (and last) day we spent in Edinburgh

Breakfast in Bed
After the let down of the day before, Sunday started with a lovely breakfast tray brought up to us in bed and freshly brewed coffee.  We took our time over breakfast and then I packed and we got ready to check out of the hotel. I was really sad to go, it was a really lovely hotel and I wish we could have stayed longer. If you are looking for a hotel to stay in whilst you are in Edinburgh then I really recommend this place, very centrally based and the rooms are very luxurious. Plus all the staff were really helpful too, couldn't ask for more.

The Royal Mile
After we dropped the suitcase in the car we walked up the Royal Mile going in and out of the souvenir shops and exploring the little alleyways that run off the main street. I wanted to go to the National Museum but Mr Bertie wasn't up for it so I agreed to go for a pint instead in a traditional pub




During our time in the pub we had a really interesting conversation about fashion/clothing and how it can project an image of who you are/what you are like to people you meet. We were sat at the window watching people walking past and playing the game of guessing what their job was and where they were going to/what they were doing. It got quite amusing and apparently we saw a high class prostitute and a drug dealer (lol), it was funny to hear Mr Bertie's thoughts on certain trends and items of clothing. Apparently the 'blogger look' is old fashioned and granny like.  This is what he came out with when I pointed out a girl in coloured opaque tights, brogues, a short skirt, duffel coat and cloche hat and said 'ooh I reckon she is a blogger, I love that outfit'.  Apparently Mr Bertie does not like that look, lol.

After our wandering around the Royal Mile and our fashion 'discussions' in the pub we decided to head for some lunch and found a lovely pub on the Royal Mile where we had lamb shanks and mashed potato. Seriously warming comfort food (the weather wasn't as nice on Sunday and was actually really cold)

Camera Obscura
The rest of the afternoon was spent in the Camera Obscura museum which was great fun and had some really amusing exhibits.  It's quite hard to describe this museum but here are some photos of the fun we had in there...





It was soon 6pm and time to head off home so we walked back to the car and set off on the long journey back down.  Although this time it was much less stressful and a much shorter journey than on the way up (thank goodness for that!)  Goodbye Scotland....

We finally got home about 10.30pm and suddenly remembered about the broken boiler when we came into a freezing house with no hot water.  We had to put on the oil radiator and electric heater to warm up the bedroom and filled the bed with hot water bottles. It was a VERY cold welcome home for us!! Thankfully the plumber has been today and sorted it out but I have had a very cold 18 hours waiting for it to be sorted.

Despite all the bad things that happened before we set off (and the cold welcome home) we had a fabulous weekend and are already looking forward to our next mini break (Newcastle in May) I can't wait!!!

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend and a good start to the week! Roll on Wednesday :)

25 comments:

  1. I've loved reading about your trip, I really want to visit Edinburgh, the camera museum looks fun and you cannot beat a bit of people watching!

    Great post!

    XO

    http://the-shelley-diaries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoyed reading about it. I really recommend Edinburgh (and the Camera Obscura museum) it's a fantastic place!

      Janine xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time. I have a picture of my head in that fruit bowl too lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was such fun, it is definitely a must do taking your picture in the fruit bowl haha.

      Janine xx

      Delete
  3. That museum looks awesome! Looks like you guys had a blast.

    xoxo
    Mags
    http://magsmind22.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, we could have spent all day in there if we'd had the time, it was definitely worth the slightly higher than average entrance fee. Highly recommended if you ever visit Edinburgh.

      Janine xx

      Delete
  4. The museum pictures are so funny! It looks like fun! I like how you were people watching at the pub! I love people watching! You live such an exciting life! You already have an exciting trip to look forward to. :) I'm jealous!!

    ClassyInAClassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people watching was funny, Mr Bertie said some silly things (his mind works in strange ways) Thanks for saying I lead an exciting life, but believe me my life is just as every day as everyone else we just try make sure we get away when we can :) We are having lots of mini breaks this year as Mr Bertie doesn't get holiday pay (self employed) and this is the first year of him doing it so he needs to build up some money meaning we have to take little holidays that don't involve any time off work for him. Not that I am complaining though, getting away a lot is great :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Edinburgh, so thatnks for sharing the pictures. It looks like you visited some fun places. I love the photo with your head on the tray/table ha ha

    http://forcailini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it was definitely fun and that table head photo still makes me giggle now :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  6. I'd love to go to Edinburgh one day, your trip sounds lovely and I like all of your camera museaum photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get chance to go definitely do, it's lovely :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed reading about this! Those buildings are to die for, and your conversation with Mr. Bertie about fashion & blogging was hilarious. You two always have the funniest conversations. What an interesting museum! Happy Wednesday, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Silver :) We do have some amusing conversations, we had another funny one in the car on the way home from work tonight, if anyone had a secret microphone in our car they would think we were a bit loopy, we talk nonsense!!

      Janine xx

      Delete
  8. Looks like you had a lovely time! I love the look of that museum! haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. It was indeed very fun, want to go back again very soon!

      Janine xx

      Delete
  10. Hi Janine, awww so glad you got your breakfast in bed on Sunday, good job you were brave and sorted it out :) The Camera Obscura Museum looks amazing.....would be a great location for an arty fashion shoot! Glad you are well again :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I was very brave, Mr Bertie made me do it (like he does with everything like that, he is a big wuss sometimes!) Ooh I agree about the Camera Obscura being a good location for a fashion shoot, especially in the optical illusion room!

      Janine xx

      Delete
  11. I don't know why it is, but there's just something so cool about seeing bloggers you follow in "your" city! I'm so glad you enjoyed it: I kind of wish I lived further away so I had an excuse to stay at that hotel now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get mega excited if I saw a blogger I follow visiting my home town on their blog, I am such a geek though haha.

      You should just go into Edinburgh and get really drunk so you can't drive home and protest that a taxi is a waste of money and just check in here, haha, it is such a lovely hotel :)

      Janine xx

      Delete
  12. I have been to Camera Obscura, it was lots of fun! Enjoyed reading about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Dear! These photos are so damn crazy! I love them :D It Looks really funny.
    Love, Leo x
    ___
    http://pompouscrackpotnotions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw what a lovely city! This reminds me I must put my pics up, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment :)

If you have any questions or want a specific reply please email me at bakeglueandtrend@gmail.com